John Callahan Hale
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
E-mail: E-mail Me
Attorney John C. Hale, a principal of the firm, has been in practice since 1979. He has practiced exclusively in the Northern Virginia area, primarily in Fairfax County and the City of Fairfax, initially with a broad practice including general civil and criminal trial work, personal injury, business, estate planning, and real estate. Since the early 1980s, however, his practice has been focused in the areas of business formations and acquisitions, business related issues, and estates and trusts. John became a member of the firm in 1980, the year the firm was formed, and became managing partner in 1990. He left that position with the firm in 2005 in order to devote more time and attention to the practice of law.
Over the years, John's practice has been concentrated in the areas of estates and trust and general business. John possesses the knowledge and expertise to handle complex estate planning, including the preparation and implementation of sophisticated techniques and vehicles designed to reduce the burden of transfer taxes. With extensive experience in these areas of over 25 years, many of his clients consist of closely held businesses and individual families in the community, in addition to non-profit organizations. John is also able to advise a variety of business entities, from formation to merger and acquisition.
John is also active in his community, serving on the Advisory Board of Potomac Bank since its inception, and with the Rotary Club of Fairfax. He also serves with a number of charitable, religious and community service organizations. In the past he has served with the Fairfax Inter-service Club Council and the Fairfax Jaycees.
Year Joined Firm
Areas of Practice
- Estate and Trusts
- Business Formation
- 5% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Virginia, 1979
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia, 1986
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 1981
- U.S. Tax Court, 1982
- University of Richmond, The T.C. Williams School of Law, Richmond, Virginia
- George Washington University, Washington, District of Columbia
- United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colorado
- United States v. Beahm, 664 F.2d 414 (United States Court Of Appeals, Fourth Circuit 1981)
- Thorpe v. Commonwealth, 223 Va. 609, 292 S.E.2d 323 (Virginia Supreme Court 1982)
- In re Estate of Robert Laird O'Bryan, Fiduciary No. 46159, 25 Va. Cir. 35, 1990 Va. Cir. Lexis 431 (Circuit Court Of Fairfax County, Virginia 1990)
- Williams v. Engineering & Tech. Consultants, Inc., Chancery No. 15267, 1993 Va. Cir. Lexis 864 (Circuit Court Of Loudoun County, Virginia 1993)
- Nicholas Landrith v. First Virginia Bank et al., Case Nos. (Chancery) 136392, 136393, 40 Va. Cir. 59, 1995 Va. Cir. Lexis 1365 (Circuit Court Of Fairfax County, Virginia 1995)
- Washington D.C. Regional Advertising Association
- American String Teachers of America
- Metropolitan Funeral Service, Inc.
- Jefferson Funeral Chapels, Inc.
- First Virginia Community Bank
- Sandy Spring Bank
- Representing the Dying Client, VA CLE, 2001
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers in America, 2006 – 2011
- Virginia Super Layer, 2008 – 2011
- Virginia’s Best Lawyer – 2011
- Washington DC’s Top Lawyers – 2009
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Rotary Club of Fairfax, 1989 - 2011
- Fairfax Jaycees, 1979 - 1983
Pro Bono Activities
- 911 Representation
- Rotary Club of Fairfax and Fairfax Rotary Foundation, Inc.